Years ago, when our daughter Bethanne was born, I realized that when faced with difficult circumstances people often say stupid things. I know that most of the time the stupid comments come from good intentions. People mean to be kind, generally. They simply just don’t know what to say. Here’s a small sampling of things I’ve heard people say:
- It’s for the best.
- God needed another angel.
- You’re young. You can have another one.
- At least you know you can get pregnant.
- They’re in a better place.
- At least you have other children.
- It happened for a reason.
- I’m sure you’ll get pregnant again soon.
- It’s better than having a child born with problems.
My “favorite” one from when Bethanne was born was the mom who told me she understood what I was going through because her son had been born autistic. Apparently, having a child born with a…
View original post 463 more words